What is an International Director?
Nowadays, more and more companies are expanding internationally in order to increase their turnover. Many jobs are linked to the development of an international brand, including that of International Director. The latter occupies a central place for luxury houses wishing to become international.
The International Director is responsible for developing the company in the global market in order to sustain the company’s growth. From France or the four corners of the globe, he seeks to expand his business geographically.
In large luxury houses, he optimizes the already established international activities and in SMEs, he develops new markets by promoting internally the benefits of exporting.
The role of the International Director combines technical, linguistic and managerial skills.
What is its role, its missions & its daily life?
On a day-to-day basis, his role is to analyze the markets, synthesize data, set up the most appropriate strategy and ensure that this strategy is properly implemented by the various teams.
This job requires the mastery of several aspects such as risk management, geopolitics, international business, negotiation and supply chain etc… The missions are varied.
According to Ronan le Mestre, being International Director of Ladurée means wearing three different hats:
- Retail development of the French, UK and Swiss subsidiaries of Ladurée
- The development of international franchises
- Management of all operations of all Ladurée international franchisees
In order to fulfill these 3 roles, Ronan is accompanied by a team composed of an International Franchise Network Manager and an International Operations Director.
What are the qualities required to become the International Director of a prestigious luxury brand?
The qualities required to be an International Director of a luxury company are numerous, here is a non-exhaustive list:
- Be rigorous
- Be forward thinking
- Be flexible and have a taste for the field, be mobile
- Be open to the world and have a strong open mind
- Enjoy working in a multicultural environment with multicultural teams
- Being multilingual
- Have a strong taste for negotiation and business development
What are the different paths within OMNES Education?
To become an International Director, there are several paths available to you, including :
- Grande Ecole programs such as the Luxury Brand Management program at INSEEC
- MSc courses such as the Luxury Management program at the International University of Monaco
- Courses more oriented towards international development, such as ESCE’s Grande Ecole Program in Export Management